Dunsmuir Hellman Historic Estate is one of Oakland’s premier rental venues for spectacular events. Whether you’re planning a grand wedding, an intimate party or a large social gathering we offer the perfect mix of elegance, experience and creativity. Dunsmuir Hellman Historic Estate’s serene atmosphere, quality services, and professional staff make it a perfect location to host your corporate retreat, wedding, reception, dinner party, or any other type of social event. Built in 1899, the Estate features a 37-room Neoclassical Revival Mansion set upon 50 acres of beautifully landscaped groundsositive role models, physical & educational activities as well as cultural awareness and enrichment.
Every client works with a reservations clerk who will liaise with you and oversee all the details from start to finish. On the day of your event, you’ll also have the services of an event coordinator ready to solve last minute glitches and ensure everything runs smoothly. Celebrate your next event with us! We offer a wide variety of both indoor and out door spaces.
Performances | Special Events | Weddings | Receptions | Corporate Meetings | Screenings | Presentations | Concerts | Fairs | Festivals | Private Parties
At Your Service
The Central Reservations Unit at Oakland Parks and Recreation provides highly personalized attention to help you plan your special event. Our excellent customer service and personalized guided tours ensure that your meeting or celebration is a success, filled with happy memories. Call to set up your appointment today.
Non-Exclusive Approved Caterers List Available.
Great Meadow – Capacity: 4,500
South Pond – Capacity: 300-500
Mansion Lawn – Capacity: 200
Garden Pavilion – Capacity: 100-250-100
Carriage House – Capacity: 60-200
Mansion Veranda – Capacity: 50
4-Hour Minimum Rental plus a deposit
is required when the reservation is made.
POLICIES PROCEDURES AND GUIDELINES (Please Read Thoroughly)
Reservations must be made by an adult, 21 years of age or older. Reservation must be made at least 30 days in advance of the event. NO EXCEPTIONS. Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Monday – Saturday, 9:00 AM- 10:00PM
Sunday, 9:00 AM- 6:00PM
Making Changes to Existing Reservations:
- The person who made the original reservation must submit all changes in writing to the reservation office at least 30 days in advance of the reservation date.
- A reservation may be changed to another date one time only without being charged a fee if the request is submitted in writing to the Reservations office at least 31 days in advance of the reservation date.
- Renters may not add hours or use options and pay for them on site. Malonga staff or a uniformed Police Officer will close down any event that continues past contracted hours.
Number of Attendees Expected
The number of attendees can not exceed the maximum capacity of the venue space rented.
Setup/Cleaning Services and Customer Cleaning Responsibilities:
Applicant must provide a diagram at least 30 days in advance of event date, indicating the number of tables and chairs that will be required and the setup arrangement. Consult the Reservation Office about the number of chairs and tables available. Only the Malonga staff are permitted to set up and take down tables and chairs.
- Patrons may only utilize the tables and chairs available at each site. Additional equipment needs are the responsibility of the applicant.
- Malonga staff are permitted to set up only in those areas specifically approved for normal use.
- Renters must cleanup, remove and dispose of all items prior to leaving the facility.
- At the conclusion of the event the renter and the Malonga event staff will tour the venue to check for and record any event related damages. Any event related damages will billed to and paid by the renter.
- All decorating is the responsibility of the renter. No tape or pins are permitted on painted walls.
- Renter is to use appropriate hangers to fasten objects to the walls.
- Renters must remove all decorations, hangers, etc. from walls before leaving the facility.
- Any banners (is not more than 26′ wide by 4′ height) must be tied, never taped to surfaces.
- Helmet balloons are not allowed in the theater or theater lobby.
- The Malonga does not provide any ladders, carts, electric cables, or similar items to assist in setup/teardown.
Children at the Event
Children must be supervised at ALL times.
Youth events include bar mitzvahs, bat mitzvahs, quinceñeras, Sweet 16 parties, 18-year-old birthday parties, and all events involving groups under 21 years of age. A minimum of one adult per 15 youths is required. Arrangement of security staffing must be approved in advance by the Malonga Reservation office. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed at juvenile events. See the “Procedures for Youth Events” for more information.
- Illegal use of drugs, profanity, drunkenness, fighting and gambling are prohibited at the Malonga Center for the Arts.
- Smoking: The Malonga Casquelourd Center is a non-smoking environment. Smoking is permitted outside the building (per city ordinance 11482 ”NO smoking within 25 feet of the building…”)
- Pets: No pets are allowed nowhere on the premises. ADA service animals permitted.
- The Malonga reserves the right to cancel the rental of any facility at any time and without stated cause therefore. In such cases, all fees, deposits, and service charges previously paid by renter will be returned to person originally receipted.
- The Malonga reserves the right to require appropriate liability insurance coverage for any event scheduled in a City rented facility. An Insurance Requirement Notice will be forwarded to renters/users when required.
- Groups, organizations, or individuals using City facilities are expected to use the facilities in an orderly and safe manner at all times. Disorderly conduct on the part of those using the building may result in the immediate cancellation of the event and/or the forfeiture of the right to use any City operated facility in the future.
- Facilities are rented “As Is”. Renter must familiarize him/herself with the equipment and furniture provided. Renter may secure additional equipment by renter’s arrangement and at renter’s expense.
MISREPRESENTATION OF EVENT
Any misrepresentation as to the nature of the event, the number of attendees expected, contact or payment information or any other falsification of permit documents will result in the immediate cancellation of the event and forfeiture of fees paid. Misrepresentation may also result in depriving the individual/group of further use of any OPR facility, denial of future permit requests and/or legal action.
Renter may cancel its reservation of space by written notice delivered to The Malonga Casquelourd Center 30 days prior to the date of the event without any further financial obligations, or than forfeiture of clients’ theater fee/special event fee. Cancellation of event 30 days or less from the event date will result in full forfeiture of all fees. Malonga Casquelourd Center will in no way be liable for any cost incurred by the renter, for lost profits or consequential damages arising from canceled performances.
MARKETING & PUBLICITY
Client will be responsible for its own public relations materials (unless otherwise agreed upon), advertising and production programs. However, all public relations and publicity materials associated with clients’ production and information regarding ticket sales including, but not limited to brochures, advertisements, posters, programs and flyers, must be submitted to and approved the Malonga Casquelourd Center for the Arts prior to printing and distribution.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Client agrees to review and follow Malonga Casquelourd Center Rules and Regulations (see Exhibit A), including Oakland Fire Codes. The City of Oakland Fire Marshall will be asked to inspect and monitor premises to assure compliance with fire code and occupancy limits.
The minimum rental fee plus the deposit must be paid at the time the reservation is made. All fees must be paid in full 30 days in advance of your event. Rental fees and service charges are established in the City of Oakland Master Fee Schedule. The Office of Parks and Recreation (OPR) has no authority to waive established fees. These facilities may be reserved not more than 11 months and not less than 30 days in advance of the reservation date. Any client requesting rental of the Malonga Casquelourd Center for the Arts theater for specific dates, must pay the security fee ($500.00) the tentative hold will be placed on the theater schedule.
- There is a mandatory setup/tear down fee required for Special Events rentals ($150.00) staff not included.
- Reservation requests are accepted via fax, mail or walk-in. Customer must submit completed application and I.D. with authorization to charge credit card number by mail, fax or walk-in. Your reservation will be confirmed upon receipt of a completed application and copy of your Driver’s License or State Identification card with one of the reservation representatives.
- Authorized credit card phone charges by applicant, constitute an oral agreement and confirms the reservation.
- All rental fees, service charges and deposits will be processed at the time of receipt. All returned checks will result in cancellation of reservations and customer will be responsible for all bank charges and cancellation fees.
- Applicant must pay rental fees for the full duration of the reservation including caterer/DJ setup, decorations, etc.
- Fees may be paid 31 days or more in advance by personal or company checks, money order, or credit card. 30 days or less, fees must be paid by money order or credit card. No checks will be accepted.
- Administrative Service Fee $75 Per Request/Change (An administrative service fee will be charged for any approved changes to a permit or approved reservation requests within 30 days of an event date.)
- Applicant must provide the Malonga with the caterer’s name, address and license number.
- Applicant is responsible for payment of any additional time a caterer may need at the facility.
- The caterer has a contract with the Applicant, not the City; therefore, Applicant is responsible for any damage to facility equipment or theft and clogged sinks or dishwasher, damage to grill or oven, greasy stoves, dirty floors and counter tops.
- All rental items or catering equipment must be removed from the building at the end of the event.
- Caterers/theater concessionaires, serving or selling food and non-alcoholic beverages in the theater lobby, must comply to the same general liability insurance requirement set forth for the Renting organization/business
- Certificate of Insurance and Food Handler permit is due 14 days prior to the moving in and must reflect theater/studio use and time. Liability insurance will be obtained in amount of 1,000,000 per occurrence, $1,000,000 aggregate limit.
- Caterers/theater concessionaires must arrive 1 1/2 hour before the event starts and complete setup 30 mins prior to doors opening to the public.
Linen services and other rental service needs, i.e., china and silverware, are available at a nominal charge. Inquire with a the Malonga Reservation office.
Additional permits may be required, e.g. Charitable Solicitations Permit, Alcoholic Beverage License, Sound Amplification Permit, Certificate of Insurance etc. Applicant is responsible to obtain such permits when required.
Alcoholic beverages may be served inside facility for adult events only. An additional alcoholic beverages permit and fee is required:
$125.00 Champagne, beer, wine
$195 Distilled spirits, champagne, beer, wine
An additional alcohol permit licences to sell alcohol and beverages in the Malonga is needed:
The State of California issues liquor licenses, which are required for all businesses selling alcohol, and the City of Oakland issues conditional use permits for bars, restaurants, stores and other businesses selling alcohol as part of zoning approval.
The applicant will hold the City of Oakland and its employees (Malonga Staff) free from any liability or claim for damages or suit by reason of any injuries to any person or property, of any kind whatsoever, arising out of the serving of alcoholic beverages before, during and after use of event to self and attendees.
Parking area available.